Moose Jaw residents will be trying to beat the heat over the next few days, as temperatures are forecasted to be in the mid to high 30s throughout this Saskatchewan Day long weekend.
So, the question remains where can residents go this weekend within the city to beat the heat?
1. Spray Parks - The five City of Moose Jaw Spray Parks are a great way to beat the heat and keep cool at the same time. Each park is open from 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. daily and their locations are below:
- Crescent Park Spray Park (200 Block of Fairford St. E)
- 1996 Summer Games Spray Park (700 Block of 16th Ave SW
- Elgin Park Spray Park (Wheelchair Accessible) (8th Avenue NW and Hall St. W)
- Co-op Community East End Spray Park (Wheelchair Accessible) (9th Avenue NE and Ominica St. E)
- Kinsmen Westpark Spray Park (Meier Dr)
2. The Kinsmen Sportsplex – The indoor pool will be open on Saturday from 9:00 a.m.- 9:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 12:00 p.m. - 8:45 p.m. For Saskatchewan Day the hours may vary. It is equipped with a leisure pool, steam room, hot tub, water slides, and spray toys.
3. Phyllis Dewar Outdoor Pool – will be open on Saturday from 12-8:30 p.m., 9-11:00 p.m., and 12-8:30 p.m. on Sunday. The pool has diving boards, a diving tower, and a sunbathing area.
4. Buffalo Pound Provincial Park – Located 25 minutes northwest of Moose Jaw, the park is filled with activities and beaches to stay cool this weekend. The Buffalo Pound Pool is a great way to beat the heat and is open on weekends from 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. For those that want an adventure, Sask Aquatic Adventures is available within the park and has waterslides, bridges, swings, and more. People can also cool down and take a swim in Buffalo Pound Lake.
5. Lake Diefenbaker – Northwest of Moose Jaw, Lake Diefenbaker has a number of easily accessible beaches and shorelines to travel to this weekend, that will keep you cool. Along the lake, Douglas and Danielson Provincial Parks are great places to go camping, boating, and fishing.
If none of these ideas suit your fancy, Moose Jaw has a number of ice cream, frozen yogurt, and slushie shops that will also do the trick of cooling you down this weekend.
The list above is just a few things to help beat the hit this weekend. Stay cool out there!