There was quite the range of emotions for the Peacock Tornadoes during the second half of Wednesday's game against the Weyburn Eagles.

After battling through the first half without a goal scored on either side, Peacock fell down 2-0 early in the second half. The Tornadoes didn't quit however and fought their way back with two late goals for the 2-2 draw in Moose Jaw High School Boys Soccer League action at the Canada Games soccer fields.

“We showed great character to come back from two goals down,” said Peacock head coach Jordan Jeffery. “Saeed scored a wonderful goal and that really brought the momentum back for the boys.”

Saeed Salad got Peacock on the board with a long shot from outside the box that floated over the Weyburn keepers' arms and cut the lead to one with just under 15 minutes remain in the game.

Moments later, Abel Katula would get an opportunity in tight and made no mistake, tying the game at 2-2.

“The boys kept fighting and as soon as they got that first goal, it looked like they could have got two or three more,” said Jeffery. “In the end, we felt that we could have come away with the three points, but we're happy that we got the comeback and got a point out of the game.

“Our goal keeper, McGuire Lyall, saved us,” he added. “He made a really good save when we were still two-down. The ball rebounded off our defender and he caught it on the line, could have been a different game if that had went in.”

Weyburn controlled the play through the first half and early in the second half, but couldn't keep it going for the entire 90 minutes.

“Our team play broke down, especially after they scored the first goal and that cost us the win,” said Weyburn head coach John Megenbir.

“We pretty much dominated the first half and thirty minutes of the second half, so when we work as a team and pass, that's when we do our best.”

Peacock started the game with four subs on their bench and ended things with just one available thanks to some injuries. Jeffery said he's proud of the way that the team battled through.

“We had a lot of attacking players having to play defensive and that's where we lost a lot of shape,” said Jeffery. “I love how everyone wanted to get the goal, that was great, but we needed to sit back and think and once we did that, the boys went on from there.”

The league takes a break until Monday now with Peacock facing Central in the first meeting of the season between the two schools. They will meet twice next week.

“Last year, they were very good, so it will be interesting to see what they have for us in the game,” said Jeffery.

Weyburn will be back in action on Wednesday when they host the Vanier Vikings.