Eight individuals, including four from Moose Jaw and another from Weyburn, have been arrested and charged following a major inter-provincial drug trafficking operation takedown by RCMP Federal Serious and Organized Crime (FSOC) Saskatchewan and Regina Police Service.
On March 30, 2022, RCMP FSOC Saskatchewan in partnership with the Regina Police Service, launched an inter-provincial drug trafficking investigation targeting a prolific drug network supplying large amounts of illicit drugs across Western Canada.
Throughout the year, investigators worked together to collect and corroborate information required to identify the persons responsible and their locations and the scope of the criminal activities involved.
On May 11 and 12, 2023, RCMP FSOC Saskatchewan executed six search warrants and arrested the individuals directly involved in the inter-provincial drug trafficking investigation.
The search warrants were executed in Weyburn and Moose Jaw, SK and Vancouver and Burnaby, BC.
In total, 10 individuals were arrested without incident and 54 Criminal Code and Controlled Drugs and Substances Act charges have been laid.
As a result of this investigation, officers have seized for evidence, approximately 3.36 kg of MDMA (ecstasy), 8.95 kg of cocaine and 28.17 kg of methamphetamine. The cocaine seized has been tested and resulted in purity levels as high as 97 percent.
This investigation received support from the following partner and police agencies:
- Regina Police Service
- Regina Integrated Intelligence Unit
- Weyburn Police Service
- Vancouver Police Department
- Moose Jaw Police Service
- “E” Division Federal and Serious Organized Crime
- “K” Division Federal and Serious Organized Crime
- Burnaby RCMP Drug Section
- Burnaby RCMP Detachment
- “G” Division Federal Arctic Unit
- Public Prosecution Service of Canada
- Correctional Services Canada
This investigation also received additional support from specialized Saskatchewan RCMP units:
- Moose Jaw RCMP Crime Reduction Team
- Swift Current RCMP Saskatchewan Trafficking Response Team (STRT)
- White Butte RCMP Detachment
- Saskatchewan RCMP’s Criminal Analytical Sections
- RCMP Special Investigations Section
The investigation is ongoing.
The quantity of drugs seized for evidence and charges laid are subject to change pending further analysis and investigation.
The following individuals have been charged and arrested:
- 27-year-old Nikola Galic from Burnaby, BC
- 26-year-old Cassandra Beckett-Benjamin from Toronto, ON (arrested in Burnaby, BC)
- 41-year-old Zlatko Mandaric from Burnaby, BC
- 28-year old Sasa Bilusic from Moose Jaw, SK
- 22-year-old Braylen Breton from Moose Jaw, SK
- 41-year-old Jamie Neufeld (female) from Weyburn, SK
- 36-year-old Courtney Austin from Moose Jaw, SK
- 40-year-old Mitch Schoffer from Moose Jaw, SK
Two individuals were released without charges laid.
- Trafficking in a substance or substance included in Schedule I, section 5(1) of the CDSA
- Possession of a substance included in Schedule I for the purpose of trafficking, section 5(2) of the CDSA
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000.00, sections 354(1) and 355(a) of the Criminal Code
- Conspire to commit an indictable offence of trafficking in a controlled substance, sections 5(1) and 465(1)(c) of the Criminal Code
- Conspire to commit the indictable offense of possession of property over $5,000.00, sections 354(1) and 355(a) and 465(1)(c) of the Criminal Code
- Among others.
Galic will appear in Regina Provincial Court next on June 6, 2023.
All others will appear in Regina Provincial Court next on June 19, 2023.